Sunday, August 17, 2008

Mother of One


I am a "hoverer". There, I said it. I need a 12 step program. As the mother of one and a bit of OCD control freak I need to stop the insanity. As Alexa gets older she continues to show me how capable she is and how independent she is. My struggle lately has been learning to back off a little and just let her do it on her own. I don't fix her problems all the time and am trying to ease up ( I have a lot of rules). Yesterday we went to one of her friends birthday party at Chuckie Cheese and I was "that" mom...wiping her hands ( no, scrubbing the germs) off before she ate pizza, wiping her mouth, cleaning the stain off her new shirt...all while the child was trying to eat pizza with her friends!! Insane, I know. This morning after the third time telling her to get to the table for breakfast, I finally raised my voice ( which she hates) and she responded with this in her own raised voice: "It's my business to take care of myself!!!" Okay, point taken but get you fanny to the table. So, I will continue to give her more freedom, hover less and realize my baby girl is getting to be a big girl.

No comments: